Jun 14, 2021
You know those days you just want to quit your job? On today’s
episode of IntHERrupt, Linda is joined by Nicole Tschierske to
discuss why you might not want to immediately quit and look for
your next opportunity. As a scientist and positive psychology
coach, Nicole helps her clients strategically turn their
career frustrations into a renewed love for their
Why shouldn't you find a new job when you're feeling
under-challenged or overwhelmed?
- There will be situations you just have to get out of, such as
discrimination or if you’ve tried to make changes without
- But, especially if you work at a larger company, there are
often many areas and new opportunities within your company.
Nicole had to overcome feeling under-challenged in her
- At a previous job, Nicole had to knock on her manager’s door to
ask for new opportunities.
- She tried everything to remain challenged at work, and
management told her she just had to be patient. But soon, an entire
year went by without change.
- When these monotonous feelings began to seep into her personal
life, she looked for a coach for help.
Her advice to someone who feels under-challenged or
- It's normal to have a perceived plateau of learning.
- If you feel you have to leave your company to grow, stay
another year and use that extra bandwidth you have from no longer
struggling with technicalities; use it to learn a whole set of
other skills you might need for your future career.
Nicole’s guide to job tweaking:
- What is job tweaking? It’s changing your daily work routine to
make it more worthwhile or fun for you.
- Look at the tasks you have to do, and find a way to switch them
up. Can you change tasks with someone? Can you stack the most
difficult ones at the beginning of the day?
- Look at your relationships. Who energizes you? Or is there
someone you have to manage your emotions around? Find ways to work
on more challenging tasks with those you like to work with and vice
- Think about what you do and find meaning behind it. Who are you
helping? What are you providing? Asking these questions can give
your work meaning beyond the mundane.
How can you get noticed in the workplace to
- Take on tasks beyond your realm of responsibility, especially
cross-functional projects that help out multiple people.
- Try to work with people who bring out your best
- Enjoy your work. If you can find joy, even in a mundane task,
you’ll make progress. Just remember, you likely won’t be at that
job forever. But while you're there, you might as well make the
best of it.
Has Nicole ever been interrupted, and how she’s overcome
- Nicole has definitely been interrupted, but she has also been
accused of interrupting others.
- To overcome being interrupted, Nicole asks herself what is
important: standing up for herself or ensuring the point she’s
making reaches the audience. Depending on the context, she uses
different strategies to achieve the outcome she wants.
Want to get in contact with Nicole? Connect with her on LinkedIn or
visit her website.
Do you have stories to tell? Connect with Linda to share them.
This podcast is produced by TSE Studios. Check out other podcasts
by TSE Studios, including this episode’s sponsor, The
Sales Evangelist, helping new and struggling sellers close more
deals and achieving their sales goals.
Subscribe to the Int-HER-rupt Podcast so you
won’t miss a single show. Find us on Apple
Podcast, Google Podcast,
Spotify, and Stitcher.
Audio created by Ryan Rasmussen