Dec 13, 2021
Dealing with painful family events is different
for everyone. While some might dive into their work to forget their
problems, others might need time to process and work through their
emotions. Today’s episode of IntHerrupt is a solo episode
discussing Linda’s experience dealing with those family events and
her takeaways from them as a business owner.
There was a period in Linda’s life where she constantly
asked for time off to deal with family issues.
- While pregnant with her second child, she was put on bed rest
after just receiving a big promotion.
- She wanted to continue to work. So her company transferred her
phone to her home phone, allowing her to rest and work while
supporting her child.
- If you’re leading a team, show similar support to your
Linda’s mother-in-law recently
- A 93-year-old woman, she was a fantastic leader and woman who
struggled with immense pain from various surgeries and
- A couple of months ago, Linda and her husband got word that she
likely wouldn’t live past Christmas.
- Because her in-laws lived in Alaska (and Linda and her husband
live in Georgia), it would be a trip to be there for them.
- But when Linda’s mom passed away five years ago, all she wanted
was to be by her side. And Doug (Linda’s husband) wanted the same
They flew to Alaska to support Doug’s
- At first, they thought she was dying. But her
mother-in-law rallied and became much stronger.
- Doug’s sister supported her parents all by herself by working
two jobs, and she was exhausted. Linda and Doug’s trip allowed her
to rest and recover from the immense stress and workload she was
- Upon returning home from their trip, Linda and her husband
realized they got COVID.
- Her mother-in-law also got COVID, and unfortunately, she never
Part of being a leader is showing emotional
- Showing up for your team in whatever support they need.
- Have integrity, show up, do the work, and be the type of leader
that offers support. Find joy in the journey.
- Before her mom passed, Linda was an extremely goal-driven
person. It was a wonderful gift that Linda was there for her last
moments, but those moments changed her and her drive.
- She gained a deeper perspective on what life was about -
living, laughing, loving, and leaving a legacy.
Find joy in the journey, exercise integrity, be a trusting leader,
but above all, live each day fully. Do you have more stories to
tell? Talk to Linda
Yates here. This podcast is produced by TSE Studios. Check out
other podcasts by the TSE Studios, including The
Sales Evangelist and more. This episode is sponsored by
The Sales Evangelist,
helping new and struggling sellers close more deals and smash their
quotas. IntHerrupt Podcast is produced by the team at TSE Studios. If you haven’t already,
please subscribe to the IntHerrupt Podcast so you
won’t miss a single interview. You can find us on Apple Podcast,
Google Podcast, Spotify, and Stitcher. You can also leave comments,
suggestions, and ratings for every episode you listen to. Audio
created by Ryan