Jan 16, 2023
In today’s episode of the IntHERrupt podcast, our host Linda
Yates meets with LaTrelle Porter to discuss ageism in the
workplace, and how to effectively combat it.
- Porter was born and raised in Savannah, Georgia and has a LONG
background in education. She has several degrees, ranging from
bachelor’s degrees in management and HR, to her PhD in
- She currently works for the local government in Savannah.
Porter owns a bakery business and also is involved in several
- You can read more about her here: https://www.savannahga.gov/directory.aspx?EID=161
Ageism in the Workplace
- Porter defines ageism as discrimination usually, but not
always, against older people in the workplace. Sometimes it’s
subtle and other times it’s blatant. Specifically, Porter finds
that people over 40 are the targets of ageism, and expects ageism
to grow in the next few years.
- The first step to combating ageism is: Understanding
different perspectives and biases. Everyone carries
biases, whether we realize it or not. Understanding these biases is
the first step in overcoming them. Everyone brings something to the
table, regardless of their age.
- The second step is: Genuine conversation. Talk
to others and TRULY listen to them. Learn their differences so you
can better understand their point of view. This will help you avoid
discriminating against them.
- Older people can learn the ins and outs of technology and
social media from younger generations and coworkers.
- Younger people, meanwhile, can learn things like institutional
knowledge and processes from older coworkers.
Leading Multigenerational Teams
- When you’re leading a team made up of multiple age groups,
there are some KEY points that Porter suggests.
- Understand your leadership style and the leadership
style of your team. Everyone has a different leadership
style. Understanding how your team members follow is KEY in
actually being able to lead them.
- Be genuine. Understand your team members and
offer them ALL the same opportunities. Don’t view your team members
as that, team members. Instead, view and understand them as
Ageism is a HUGE potential detriment in the workplace.
Understanding it is the first step in combating it. Take these tips
and use them to prevent ageism in your team. That way, you’ll
ENSURE you’re all working at maximum efficiency.
Do you have stories to tell? Connect with Linda to share them.
This podcast is produced by TSE Studios. Check out other podcasts
by TSE Studios, including this episode’s sponsor, The
Sales Evangelist, helping new and struggling sellers close more
deals and achieve their sales goals. Subscribe to the IntHERrupt Podcast so you
won’t miss a single show. Find us on Apple
Podcast, Google Podcast,
Spotify, and Stitcher. Audio created by Ryan Rasmussen