Aug 1, 2022
Leadership is more than meeting
deadlines; it’s encouraging yourself and your team to be the best
version of yourselves. In today’s episode of IntHerrupt, Linda is
joined by Bethany Foyt, Marketing Director at JourneyTEAM, to
discuss how expressing vulnerability has made her a better
Leaders struggle to show vulnerability:
- They feel like they need to know all the
answers, and being vulnerable shows signs of professional
- Bethany’s background in inbound marketing, a
tactic notorious for long-term results and little short-term
growth, made it challenging to take the initial foray into
leadership. However, she learned how to adjust her
- Self-doubt and anxiety get louder if you let
them, and Bethany learned the tools to combat that and engage in
Bethany’s likes and dislikes of leadership:
- She loves the strategy element, working through
difficult situations to make relationships stronger, especially
- However, she struggled with delegating and
handing things off when she first started, wanting people to do
things her way. She’s since learned to open her mind and back
Is vulnerability a gift or a curse?
- It was a curse for the first 10-12 years of her
career; she needed more experience and knowledge.
- Now, she’s in a place she never thought she
would be. But that approach has been stressful.
- It’s a gift because you’re open to new things,
methods, and ways of overcoming problems. As a result, you’ve
opened more doors to trust.
- To Bethany, vulnerability is being genuine and
honest in your situation, and being open to saying you don’t have
Three tips for showing vulnerability as a
- Embrace vulnerability instead of hiding it.
Understand what needs to happen to move forward, whether
determining a solution or overcoming a challenge.
- Be curious about vulnerability. Work with the
people around you and be open about challenges and obstacles
impacting your work to see if they can help.
- Break down hierarchies. When people feel
comfortable discussing their emotions at work, they’re less likely
to impact performance.
For more information and content
from Bethany, connect with her on LinkedIn. Watch
Brené Brown’s TED Talk
discussed in the episode on the
power of vulnerability. Do you have stories to tell? Connect
with Linda to share them. This podcast is produced by TSE
Studios. Check out other podcasts by TSE Studios, including this
The Sales Evangelist,
helping new and struggling sellers close more deals and achieve
their sales goals. Subscribe to the IntHERrupt Podcast so you won’t miss a single show. Find us
Apple Podcast, Google
Spotify, and Stitcher. Audio created by