Jul 12, 2021
When juggling the responsibilities that come with motherhood and
a career, nobody understands the struggles more than today’s guest
Veronica Romney. As the founder of MyModernBrand, she works to help
great people and great companies clarify their brand message and
market themselves authentically, all while she raises two kids! In
today’s episode, Veronica shares her secrets to juggling
responsibilities between motherhood and her
Veronica and her husband started a company months after
their first child was born.
- The most shocking thing she experienced as a new mother was the
amount of guilt she felt. She felt guilty delivering subpar work in
her career but also felt guilty giving herself time to rest or
traveling for work.
- After overcoming the shock of how difficult balancing
everything would be, Veronica realized finding balance is
impossible, because there are times her kids need her more than
- Instead, she believes in being honest about how much capacity
she has for her workload. For example, if she’s going to take on a
particular project, how much space will it take from the allotment
she’s given to her children?
Veronica had to learn how to give time for
- At first, she was delegating and asking her family for help.
But, after moving to North Carolina, she isn’t around family
members to support her.
- Instead, she calls on babysitters, cleaners, and even gardeners
for help. Not all the time, but for the times when she doesn’t have
the capacity to handle everything on her plate.
- You as a human being have to constantly reprioritize and decide
what is best for you.
What has been Veronica’s biggest challenge in being a
mother and working professional?
- If she doesn’t prioritize herself, everything else suffers. She
needs sleep, food, and time for herself to give more to her family
- What she doesn’t do is go into life with the mentality “I can
just wake up early and go to bed later.” - That’s how people
- Overcoming this challenge meant safeguarding her own
boundaries. If that means 30 minutes to herself, away from family,
she gives herself that time.
- Women are taught to set boundaries for themselves in the
workplace and stick to them, but that process falls by the wayside
in personal applications. But Veronica found that in expressing
that she needs time to herself, her kids learned how to practice
self-care for themselves.
What accomplishment has given Veronica the most
- Besides the birth of her children (the easy answer), it’s being
married. Of course, nobody teaches you how to be married. But even
after over a decade of marriage, Veronica and her husband love each
other and communicate their needs.
- Her secret? Be fully present in whatever you’re doing. When you
try to juggle bowling balls, they’re all going to fall. So put down
the extra balls and focus on one at a time.
To contact Veronica, connect with her on LinkedIn, Instagram, and visit her
Do you have stories to tell? Connect with Linda to share them.
This podcast is produced by TSE Studios. Check out other podcasts
by TSE Studios, including this episode’s sponsor, The
Sales Evangelist, helping new and struggling sellers close more
deals and achieving their sales goals.
Subscribe to the IntHERrupt Podcast so you
won’t miss a single show. Find us on Apple
Podcast, Google Podcast,
Spotify, and Stitcher. Audio created by Ryan Rasmussen