Mar 1, 2021
Women always face specific struggles in their traditionally-male
dominated workplace. But how can women thrive working in
traditionally-male industries? In this episode, Dr. Hilary
Link addresses this issue. Listen to learn more.
Who is Dr. Hilary Link?
- Dr Hilary Link is the first female and 22nd President of
Allegheny College in Pennsylvania. She’s an Italian Renaissance
Italian Literature and Art Scholar. She’s always been drawn to
higher education, particularly language learning.
- She studied Italian literature and focused on Renaissance
Theories on Perspective for her graduate studies. This allowed her
to learn about where you stand impacting what you see.
- She moved her entire family to Rome when she became the dean of
Temple University's global campus. They all moved back to the US
when she accepted the offer at Allegheny College.
Challenges women face in different industries
- Some of the challenges that Hilary faced are things she didn’t
anticipate. She learned that men and women lead institutions in
- She didn’t really think about the effects of having a female
president, much less the impact of a mother who would lead a
- She faced different challenges between her experiences in Rome
and in the US in the cultural approaches.
- As a woman, her leadership style is very reflective of who she
is. She’s very collaborative and she likes to engage with people
one by one.
- Hilary wants a direct relationship, she wants to support
people, and she wants to build a team that’s working together in
the institution. It’s a very different approach as compared to the
ones the school was used to. It took some time to carry everyone in
the direction she wanted.
- She always had strong female mentors that she looked up to as
role models in various ways.
- As a female in an often male-dominated role, it enabled her to
recreate what her role looks like.
- It’s important to know and figure out who you are as a
- Always try to follow your authentic self. This will give people
consistency and they will know what to expect from you and vice
- Collaborating and iterating are two big things for Hilary. When
you toss a problem to other people, you get the other views and at
the end of the day, you have a more interesting
- Find the things that make you happy and build on that. Build a
career on the things that bring you joy.
- Sometimes, interruption isn’t bad. Sometimes, pushbacks make
you see things in a whole new perspective. Sometimes they open new
doors and opportunities.
“How Women Can Thrive Working in Traditionally-Male Industries”
Connect and follow Dr. Hilary Link via LinkedIn.
Do you have more stories to tell? Talk to Linda Yates here. This
podcast is produced by TSE Studios. Check out other podcasts by the
TSE Studios including The
Sales Evangelist and more.
This episode is sponsored by The Sales Evangelist, helping
new and struggling sellers close more deals and smash their quotas.
Int-HER-rupt Podcast is produced by the team at TSE Studios,
If you haven’t already, please subscribe to the Int-HER-rupt Podcast so you
won’t miss a single interview. You can find us on Apple Podcast,
Google Podcast, Spotify, and Stitcher. You can also leave comments,
suggestions, and ratings for every episode you listen to.
Audio created by Ryan Rasmussen